Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Another contextual factor! Punctuality

    May 14, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    8) AGAIN-In regard to the contextual factors, talk about one (which of course is not the one you just talked about) and what you learned while we were in Greece that helped you understand that factor in more depth?

    Greece is laid back, way much more so than I would have ever thought, there was only one time on this whole trip that I saw a Greek in a rush. Being able to understand that punctuality is not important at all in Greece helps realize that over in America it’s not a bad idea to slow down and take a break every now and then. The Greeks treat the morning with a long and slow coffee at a local bakery that usually last an hour and a half, and that around 2-4 pm they just seemed to disappear, I guess you could call this their “siesta” but they do t have a name for it! Often when doing service work or having plans to go some where it felt as if leaving 15 minutes after you were supposed to arrive was normal for everyone over their and that if something came up, your plans could change on a dime. This happened to us on what should have been our last day of service work but Kayra and the other volunteers for Love Without Boarders decided to not do any work on Sundays. Plans changed and we were late to many things but that doesn’t matter over their when no one cares about punctuality. (oh and the one time the Greeks were rushed was when the commercial ferry that was to take us back to Athens was late and stopped by drop people of and left for another island within a minute).
    Read more