Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Helsinki & suburbs

    May 22, 2023 in Finland ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    My jet lag is wearing off and I managed to sleep from 9.30pm to 4am. Serena came by at 9.20am and we decided to have a traditional Finnish breakfast(photograph attached) and then head for the Underground church, which was built in approx 1964 by carving out a huge rock face. The church is magnificent and a feat of engineering. Serena and I lit a candle at the church and sat quietly in the pews. This afternoon we met up with her NZ colleagues, had lunch and headed out to the suburbs to a park.
    What am I noticing g the difference between NZ and Finland?
    Finland does not have any litter in the streets. All plastic can be cashed in and recycling is big business.
    The Finns smoke like crazy and they do smoke inside buildings.
    The public transport is run on an honesty system. There is no tag on / tag off but heaven help you if you don't have a ticket, the fine is enormous (random inspections are done).
    Public transport is exceptional.
    Almost a totally cashless society.
    Food prices in supermarkets is less than NZ. Even at a convience store (eg: 4 Square equivalent), the prices are reasonable. We are being ripped off in NZ, and we cannot blame the wages as the Finns get paid far more.
    Alcohol is very expensive.
    Fat people are few and far between.
    Everything is taxed highly. GST is 14% on food and 24% on everything else.
    NZ and Finland have almost equivalent population size.
    Crime is very low.
    Lots of graffiti, which is surprising as they are an orderly nation.
    Greetings are short and sharp, with no small talk.
    By the way, Mr Boofle wouldn't get out bed this morning, too much good food and late nights!
    Read more