Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    LONDON CALLING - DO YOU RECIEVE?

    June 26, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    I just couldn't resist another day in London, so the Knights and I got up early and headed in by train to London for a day of being tourists.
    It was a day to wander around so Lucy & Issac could get a feel for London and for us all to attend the theater that evening to see "Austentious."
    Arriving in to Waterloo, we headed for the Thames and walked to Westminister Bridge and took in the view of the House of Commons, Big Ben (very accurate clock😉)and then onto Westminister Abbey(the queues!). We then wandered our way up to Buckingham Palace(shame they built so close to the road😆) to be in time for "the Changing of the Guard" which was spectacular with the Royal Hussars on horseback. Onwards to St James Park(my favourite park) and then to the Horseguards parade where we were privileged to see the Royal Hussars again. We then headed to "The Mall" ( the Mall had no shops😒) and visited the memorial to Sir Keith Park. Then we headed for Knightsbridge but on the way got waylaid at Fortnum & Masons and I had to show the Knights my old haunts( Rowleys, Three Crowns, The Shirt Shop) in Jermyn St, most posh ' chaps.
    On our way to Knightsbridge, we stumbled across a delightful free house (as pubs are called) and had a spot of lunch, awfully nice(as one says in London). Couldn't resist going to Berkerley Square to view a few car show rooms.
    Then, a quick jaunt across Hyde Park and in Harrods! OMG! only fools and horses would part with their money in Harrods! The price of everything was ridiculous. Who pays $1,000 for a pair of running shoes? and $180 for one pair of socks? Still, it was worth a look, especially the food hall where white Asparagus was a mere $20 a head, Gordon Bennet!( as Delboy would say).
    At this point, we all went our separate ways until we met up for the theatre in the early evening, just off Leicester Square.
    We saw Austentious, which was a comedy about Jane Austen. The actors did the whole play impromptu, and it was so clever. A good way to end our London day out.
    On collecting the car, we spotted a fox in the carpark and another crossing the road. Sadly, foxes are ostricused here as they are seen as pests. However, they are beautiful looking animals, and I have now seen one in the flesh.
    Tomorrow, I head to Heathrow to fly to the Colonies and back to reality. There is a saying, " One who grows tired of London grows tired of life." However, I would say; "one who grows tired of the Motherland, grows tired of life." In my mind, Britian is still great, and England will always be "the Motherland." Long may we have a connection to Great Britian!
    Read more