Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Carcassonne

    October 7, 2022 in France ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Drove over to Carcassonne today along more beautiful roads lined with plane trees and many many poplar trees on view along the way. Had a wee Google on the poplars and this is what I found….

    Rather charmingly, French fathers traditionally plant a grove of poplars when their daughters are born. The idea is that they will be mature and ready to fell just when the daughter gets married, and the proceeds from the sale of the poplar wood funds the wedding festivities. You can always tell a family with ugly daughters because their poplars are left to get old and gnarled.

    But what is the wood actually used for, you are still wondering...

    Well, apparently it is used for fruit boxes ! And cheese boxes ! No wonder there are so many groves – French cheesemakers would be devastated if the supply ran out. Looks like poplar may be 'the only wood that is food grade and pliable enough'.
    Poplar is also widely used to make paper, and there is a long tradition of high quality paper manufacture in France.

    Now onto the medieval City of Carcassonne. I have wanted to visit here since reading a Kate Mosse book called Labyrinth many years ago. I had a vision in my mind of what it would look like and the imposing walls certainly did not disappoint!! We sat having a drink surrounded by ancient walls and I could just imagine the stories they could tell from centuries ago.
    Such a wonderful feel to this ancient city within the 4km of ramparts.
    After a lovely meal and a bottle of the local red we then had to find our bikes which we had locked up as we entered the walls - took us a wee while but so, so many pics to be taken. Very hard to whittle down what to post to be honest. Back to Leo for a nightcap and Ronnie is ready for 💤
    Favourite place so far! ❤️
    Read more