Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Museum and sea

    May 3, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Forecast not too promising so decided to visit Archaeological Museum where many original artefacts from Pompeii are housed. There was a bit of a queue to get in and it rained on us there a bit. Once inside we started with mosaics including many from the Villa of the Faun, with exquisite details and tiny pieces to form the images. Coffee this time from a machine, quite acceptable and only 60 cents!
    Next frescos, some of them from Herculaneum and many depicting architecture and figures, from which it is possible to see what the houses, temples and people looked like some two thousand years ago.
    We rounded off our visit in the Farnese collection where there are amazing marble statues from antiquity.
    We found Sorbillo for lunch, but the queue was far too long, so we found pizza opposite and had lunch back at the flat, with a reviving beers.
    The afternoon weather was a little more favourable so we set off towards the port and Castel d’ovo. It did rain a bit on the way, though it proved a fine way to see another part of Napoli and the seaside. The view of Vesuvius just materialised from cloud at the Castel viewpoint. We headed back up pedestrian shopping streets that were thronging with people in search of a fish shop. We found a street corner stall and purchased three Orate which we had filleted (looked like Dorado we thought so didn’t want too much). Another supermarket dash and back to cook another gourmet feast.
    20,000 steps and another fascinating day.
    Read more