Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    MOA and Gastown

    May 20, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Mass at nine a few blocks along Broughton began our Sunday.
    Then we hopped on a 5 trolley bus towards Downtown then a short walk to Granville where we boarded a 4 to UBC a fair ride for $1.85 each. At the end it was a short walk through the campus to the Museum of Anthropology.
    Coffee first then a look round the indigenous peoples exhibits of carved and painted wooden totems, boats, masks and animals, all displayed in a fine purpose designed building. Some were recovered from sites, others created in the traditional styles, notably by Bill Reid whose works followed First nations’ traditions, his mother being from the Haida clan.
    There were examples of other First Nations languages and crafts such as decorated fine baskets, clothing textiles, wood and metal work.
    After lunch of tasty salmon or tomato and Brie sandwich (Janet’s was pinched by an over eager fellow diner) we went outside to see a reconstructed village and more totems.
    Taking a different route through the university we caught the 14 bus back and on to Gastown. Here we caught the steam clock whistling 3.30 and wandered along Water St, though at the end it turned somewhat seedy so we hopped back on a bus and headed back to our comfortable Listel Hotel for tea and feet up prior to the complementary bar opening at five.
    Read more