Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Beacon Hill and Killer whales

    May 22, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    The day dawned brightly and after breakfast we set off towards Beacon Hill Park. The wild flowers were beautiful including purple common Camas and cream Meadow Death Camas. At the lookout the view across to Mt Baker in Washington State was stunning a layer of mist obscuring the coastline with mountains soaring above. From the mist appeared a large container ship in surreal ghostly fashion.
    From here we walked along the coast path towards the town. There was a lady skinny dipping on one beach though surely thermals were more the order of the day?! A bit further on there was a flash of orange which settled on a bush - Anna’s hummingbird! Quite brilliant. Coffee at Breakwater Cafe before cutting inland through James Bay. A liquor store provided more delicious Okanangan Pinot Noir and Thrifty market a few more useful essentials.
    Back to base via Parliament building, for a swim (A) and lunch ahead of a whale watching trip with BC whale tours aboard BC Luna. Captain Jim is a marine biologist and quickly headed the 12 on board to find two Killer Whale brothers heading east through the straits. Awesome!We spent quite a bit of time with them before heading towards the coast and finding our way back to port with the sun still shining.
    Great day!
    Read more