Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Glacier, Skywalk and Lake Louise

    June 4, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ❄️ 0 °C

    Wow - what a day!
    No trains in the Station to start. Left Jasper with clouds clearing headed south on the 93. First stop, Athabasca Falls where this large river squeezes and thunders through a tiny gorge. Next , Sunwapta Falls, much wider at the top and in full flood.
    Farther down we stopped to admire Stutfield Glacier. To be honest we could have stopped every 10 minutes the whole way to see the changing landscape and the Endless Chain Ridge on our left, which boasts length and around 70 peaks.
    The highlight has to be the Glacier adventure. We parked in sunshine with a cool breeze blowing off the glacier on the other side of the road. After checking in for our tickets the weather had changed and snow falling! We put on all our layers as we watched the glacier disappear from site. The 13.30 bus took us up to a transfer station where we boarded specialised six wheeled buses. Ours was driven by Sam who had a wealth of knowledge, dodgy jokes and tales and could drive us through the moraine and tyre wash onto the Athabasca glacier. Fortunately the sun had come out and the views all round were amazing.
    Our next bus took us a little ways back up the road to the Skywalk, where a steel and glass structure has been built for visitors to walk out some 300m up over the valley. There is also good information about the eco and water systems of these parts and views of the Colombia Ice Fields which sit some 100m on top of the peaks. A great and informative experience.
    We set off around 16.00 for our next accommodation at Deer Lodge, Lake Louise. On the way the views remained awesome, sometimes obscured by clouds and snowfall, and when we crossed Bow Summit persistent snow and temperatures down to 1deg.
    Arrival was a relief and our anniversary gift was a plate of cheeses which we shared with some Monsters 2014 Merlot. What better way to end a fabulous day?!
    Read more