Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Castel St George

    October 16, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Sunny morning and we decided, after scrambled eggs and nut-packed muesli to venture to a mercado in the nearby Figueira square, down steps! What a treat! We found local cheese, white port and some red bream and veg to cook for tea.
    Nipping back up the stairs to return to the fridge, we then headed out to catch tram 28. Well, the queue was amazing for such a little old vehicle, so we quickly decided to walk, starting with an amazing escalator. Turned into a fine walk, with some excellent views. However when we reached the entrance there was about a 40 minute queue to get in . So we dissed that plan and found a church tower which gave great views for just 2euro. There was a bit of a queue inside as the top only handled ten people but better than waiting for ages.
    On our way down we found a gorgeous little cafe for light lunch of tomato soup with pesto and a couple of beers. There was a guitarist playing well known tunes in classical style. He was brilliant and a really great guy. Turned out he was from Brazil and he recommended a trip to Sintra.
    After lunch we descended towards Sé, the cathedral built in 1147. A port and fig gelato on the way. Then we just about boarded a 28 tram to take us back to Duque. The bream with courgette and tomato was v tasty.
    Read more