Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    On to Bangkok

    January 5, 2019 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    The night was very wet and windy by all accounts and John Simpson had been drafted in to give a war zone feel to the storm reporting. I guess he’s had his holiday spoiled too.
    Fortunately the rain stopped in time to get to breakfast. And the sun has come out. The sea is still crashing onto the beach though. Our flight out is delayed but we still have to travel to the airport at the same time.
    We left in a tropical downpour with streets running water and the airport was hugely busy as expected. Our travel agent found us somewhere relatively quiet to wait with our bags, though we were almost inundated by the rain and wind while airport staff battled with squeegeeing.
    There was courtesy cakes and drinks and the flight eventually left at 14.15. In 55 minutes flight time the crew served a hot chicken and rice meal with chocolate cake. Once again remarkable service from Bangkok Air.
    Our hotel is a modern, high rise contrast of the same chain. Our room is on the 18th floor and the first thing we did was visit the infinity pool on floor 26 with fabulous views over the river. Cool at 24 degrees!
    We took the shuttle ferry across to Saphan Taksin where we found a little bar/ restaurant for a Chang (happy beer hour) and green curry. On the way back they treated us to a spectacular fireworks display on the river.
    So far so good.
    Read more