Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Corinth

    September 30, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    This morning we boarded our bus up at the square for the relatively short drive to Corinth. Along the way we stopped at the crossing of the Corinth canal, started in the 1st century ad though not finished until the 1890s. The cutting is over 200m deep although the water is just 8m deep. Impressive piece of engineering which saved 2 days journey around the pelepones peninsular.
    We then called briefly at the ruined eastern ancient port from where St Paul sailed to Antioch.
    Our main visit was to the ancient city of Corinth where St Paul addressed the Corinthians. Here we said mass in the open air. Very interesting Roman ruins with some Byzantine additions all destroyed by an earthquake, after which the city moved to the coast.
    We had a light lunch in a quiet taverna beyond the car par including delicious pistachio ice cream.
    We got back to the hotel mid afternoon in time to wander down to the cathedral and sketch in the grounds.
    This evening after our meal we walked the short way up to the parliament to watch the changing of the guard, from which John Cleese clearly gained inspiration.
    Later Janet stayed up to watch Man Utd play Arsenal with Greek commentary. It did not improve the football which ended 1-1.
    Read more