Satellite
  • Day 2

    Mao and baptism

    October 11, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    The day of the baptism was also National day, so some things were closed including the water taxi and the distillery, shame! We walked into the capital, Mao partly along a dusty footpath, stopping for coffee by some huge sparkling yachts.
    In the old town we explored the old fish market and found a church that was hosting a short organ recital. Next we found a small square for light lunch in the American Bar.
    We had some difficulty finding the bus station and when we did there was a gap of two hours in the timetable , so we took a taxi back.
    The baptism was at five and we met many of Toni’s large family as we walked the short distance to the church. Two babies were baptised and both were extremely good.
    After we walked back down to the quayside where Toni’s grandma has an amazing five story house where the ground floor makes an entertainment space that opens on to the Quay. Festivities began and we were treated to some local and Mallorcan delicacies of pies and pizza, followed by biscuits and then hot chocolate with cake. Beer and wine flowed so the baby’s head was well and truly wetted, and the singing got underway. All the extended family members were very kind to us and chatted freely. We didn’t stay too late when the gin and tonics were rolled out, and strolled back by moonlight.
    Read more