Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Dampier Archipelago

    April 2, Indian Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    A group of 42 islands near the town of Dampier in the Pilbara. Many more ships and rigs on the horizon. We are obliged to anchor further out so as not to interfere with traffic-quite a change.
    This morning some opted for a final snorkel off the Explorer while we went for a beach swim in a sheltered bay on Rosemary Island. There were many shells on the beach and a noticeably larger tide than we’ve been used to. We had a lovely swim, not as warm as the day before but more refreshing. At the shallow end there were some small sting rays the size of dinner plates and sand coloured. On arrival back to the Adventurer we had to hand in our snorkel gear which was a little sad. Tomorrow is a day at sea on the way to Broome. While changing I saw a turtle from the cabin window. Yeah!
    After another gorgeous lunch (at 11.30) we assembled in the Bridge Lounge for a presentation by rangers from the Murujuga Aboriginal Corporation on Cultural Awareness
    Ngayintharri Gumawarni Ngurrangga We all come together for country.
    Some set off for a visit which was predicted (not entirely accurately) to be a long and bumpy crossing and hot on land. We opted to stay on board and did some painting and reading. In fact the trippers got back in little over an hour.
    Read more