Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Casa Fitz

    June 12, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Once the sun rose it started getting hot again and at 10.00 we changed course to the NW and began approached Garrucha with its harbour protected by a huge breakwater cum pier a half kilometre long.

    There were two large bulk carriers tied up on the inside of the pier. As we rounded the end of the breakwater the harbour opened up and we saw the old marina was full with local boats but there was a new marina which had been built by the local government lying almost empty beside it so we headed in that direction instead.

    Despite having lazy lines rigged for stern to mooring, the few boats that were there were tied up alongside to the concrete marina so we did the same and picked a spot behind a French flagged yacht and were tied up by 10.30.
    We had contacted Paul as we approached the harbour so he was already on the way to collect us.

    The crew of the other yacht were an Italian husband with a French wife and were fairly friendly. She was looking funny at us when we stepped off and asked us were the seas bad outside? She was surprised with our answer, that it was calm but it turned out that it was our life jackets that had confused her.
    She was surprised to see us wearing them but I always wear one when sailing and insist on the crew doing so as well unless we’re at anchor. We're so used to wearing them that we had forgotten that we still had them on as we stood on the marina taking in the views after we had tied up.

    I went to the harbour master's office to do the paperwork and as he had no English and I have only a few words of Spanish it took a while but we both had a good laugh about our difficulties and soon got it completed.

    The crew had gone for showers with Paul arriving just as I was going for mine.
    When I came back, Paul was in the middle of one of his stories and already had the crew eating out of his hand.

    The spin to 'Casa Fitz' was up into the mountains and very scenic.
    Laura was waiting for us and we were shown our rooms before we walked down to the local taverna 'Josephine's' for a drink or two before returning to spend the afternoon lazing and swimming in their pool. It was lovely and relaxing after the rush to get here and I think the Mary's soon forgot any thoughts of the voyage to get here.
    The evening was finished off with a lovely paella for dinner prepared by Laura and the crew went to bed very contented with life.

    Leg 8 - 110 mls. Total 807 mls.
    Read more