Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Brief return to Falmouth

    June 14, 2017 in England ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    After a long breakfast in the morning sun we got ready to leave Helford to pick up Maeve in Falmouth.
    We hoisted sail outside and had a broad reach north towards Falmouth.
    Unfortunally the winds were so light that we had give up after an hour and turn on the engine to motor the rest of the way.

    We tied up again at the visitors yacht haven where they only charged me GB£3 instead of the GB£11 that it should have been.
    When I explained that we were only staying long enough to collect someone they asked what was the length of our tender and charged us for that and not for Eureka's length.

    When Maeve arrived we went to have something to eat while Chris & Eddie went to get provisions and we met back at the boat at 16.00 and set sail for Helford with stronger winds on the way back and we again sailed up into the river.
    Most of the visitor moorings were full but strangely the one we had left this morning was still free, we took it!

    Later once Maeve had settled in, we went ashore to the Helford Sailing Club where we had showers and followed it with dinner upstairs in the dining room with a lovely view of the river.

    We had to make two trips out to Eureka and because it was pitch dark I found I wasn't far enough enough away from the shore until the outboard hit a bottom and that was the end of motoring out to Eureka.

    Eddie and I rowed out to Eureka and but with the tide against us it took so long that Chris and Maeve thought we had gone to the pub instead.

    After an explanation of the cause our delay and a cuppa, we headed to bed.
    Read more