Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Exploring St. Mary's

    June 18, 2017 in England ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Chris likes to walk so it meant that the rest of us were going walking too.
    Once ashore Chris headed to the tourist office, got a map and off we went.

    The islands have very little motorised traffic and there are plenty of paths off the beaten track, well away civilisation.
    We headed off towards the lighthouse on Peninnis Head on the south of the island before heading east to Old Town which use to be the harbour on St. Mary's before the pier was built in Hugh Town.

    There is a lovely small church there and in the nearby churchyard is the grave of Harold Wilson, one time prime minister of the UK who was a resident on the island after he retired.

    Maeve, Chris and Eddie had a swim in the bay while I watched from the safety of the shore before we had lunch in a local café.

    We walked back along a nature trail across the moor that brought us to the beach at Porthloo and then we walked back along the shore to the pier.
    We decided to have dinner ashore before we returned to Eureka but first I had to go back to Eureka as I had forgotten to bring clothes to wear after our showers. Wouldn't want to shock the locals.

    Fed and watered we headed back to Eureka for an early night as Chris & Eddie were getting the morning ferry back to the mainland.
    Read more