Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Our visitors depart

    June 19, 2017 in England ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    We were all up early to bring Chris & Eddie ashore for the morning ferry back to Penzance.
    Maeve said her goodbyes onboard as the dinghy won't take all of us.
    I got them ashore and safely and still dry in time to catch the 07.30 ferry.

    Maeve and I are spending a few more days on the islands as Maeve hasn't been here before and I want to show her why I love them.

    Later Maeve and I went shore for some provisions and at 12.30 we slipped our mooring and headed north toward the Tresco Flats, a shallow bar between the islands of Bryher and Tresco.
    You have to get the tides right as at low spring tides you can walk across from one island to the other. Ok you might get your feet wet, but you get the idea.
    I normally wait till about 2 hours before high tide, so if you do get stuck, the water is still rising and you have time to get afloat again.

    After a nice shore sail we furled the genoa and started the engine to give us more control crossing the bar.
    When we got to New Grimsby we found that all the moorings were taken so it was onto plan B, anchoring in Old Grimsby on the eastern side of Tresco or plan C anchoring in St. Helen's Pool future to the east.

    We continued through New Grimsby and around the north of Tresco and down the east side but found that the winds were blowing force 3 to 4 without any shelter so that was plan B scuppered and it was plan C, off to St. Helen's Pool.

    I have never been to this anchorage before so we took our time picking a spot to anchor. There were a few yachts already anchored in the pools and of course they had picked the best spots but we found a spot in 4 meters that we liked and we were dug in by 15.30.

    St. Helen's Pool is surrounded be small islands and rocks and when the tide is low it almost looks like there is nowhere out.
    It was so peaceful that we stayed aboard, chilled out and after a lovely dinner, we had a peaceful calm night at anchor.
    Read more