Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Don't forget your tie if......

    June 2, 2018 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Maeve and I had a lazy morning.
    After showers we had a chat with Keith & co then we met Jimmy Kelly who had organised the rally. He invited us to visit his boat, a M38 for coffee.
    Jenny, his wife made us welcome and we were soon joined by Roy Totten & his wife Paddi (Patricia) who travelled by road from Carrickfergus.

    Maeve and I returned to Eureka, did a bit of tidying and chilled out till it was time for the visit to the Maritime Museum where we spent a pleasant hour or two. Part of it was a guided tour by an very pleasant elderly gentleman. All the staff are volunteers.
    On the way back to the marina we did a bit of provisioning.

    Later, all spruced up, we went ashore to the 'Royal Irish Yacht Club' where dinner had been organised by a member of the assoc. who is also a member of the club.
    Luckily I had been able to contact Maeve before she left Cork to ask her to being a jacket and tie. They are compulsory in the club or at least in the dining room. A bit over the top in my opinion but I was the guest and it was those were the rules. They do have some jackets and ties available for those who turn up without.
    The meal was lovely but no one dared take off their jackets at the table.

    The company was good and Maeve and myself had a very enjoyable evening. Some of us stayed in the club to have a drink or two before heading back to the boats in the early hours.
    Read more