Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    From one island to another

    May 28, 2021 in Ireland ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Woke up early, tired after our late night antics, to find Jim was ready to go.
    Pressure, pressure! Well, he couldn’t go until I did.

    We headed out at 08.30 with the sun shining down on us. It wasn’t warm but it was dry and bright, lovely.
    Our destination was Lawrence Cove on Bere Island.

    The winds were light, still we had a nice beat until the Mizen but when we eased sheets to head north towards Berehaven, we slowed.
    As we passed Castle Head we came on a large pod of common dolphins and one of them ‘walked’ on its tail, not once but twice. The first time, except in films, that I have seen that, absolutely amazing.
    Finally while crossing Bantry Bay the wind got so light that we had to motorsail until we reached Lawrence Cove.

    The marina was full as many boats wintering there had not left for their summer moorings, due to covid.
    Rachel was planning on bringing her sons to the beach as by now the day had got hot, we told her that we’d raft up ourselves and see her later.
    It turned out that we were the first visitors of the season to the marina.
    Once securely tied up we had Jim & Angela aboard for an ‘arrival drink’, any excuse will do.

    Brian went for a walk while I filled the water tanks and did some boaty stuff.
    When Brian returned he served up another lovely dinner and afterwards all four of us walked up to the gun battery on the east end of the island and enjoyed the views over the bay on a lovely warm sunny evening.
    Read more