Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    A Warm Welcome among Giants

    July 14, 2021 in Northern Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    After a peaceful calm night we lifted our anchors at 08.30 next morning.
    There was only a slight breeze coming off the land as we set a course east but the wind came up when crossing the mouth of the Foyle and curtesy flags were hoisted.
    We were on a reach until we were approaching Portrush when the wind slowly died. We kept sailing as long as we could as we enjoyed the sunshine and the heat that had come during the afternoon.

    We had to raft up on the pontoon as they were busy and got a very warm welcome from the staff in what is a staunch loyalist area. Very different from my first visit (by road) in 1982 in very different times.

    The town was very busy with holiday makers as it the norm after the 12th and a funfair added to the noise and excitement of the children.
    After a walk around the town we got the bus to the Giants Causeway and had a good walk along the cliffs and shore.
    Once back in Portrush we found a restaurant for the first time we’d have to eat indoors but the tables were well spaced and the staff had face shields and used sanitizer so we felt safe.

    Later we took a scenic walk along the shore back to the harbour. Naturally is was the long way.
    Read more