Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Thoughts of Vienna

    December 28, 2019 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    As we depart Wien on the train to our next stop, Praha, it is time again to reflect upon the last 5 days.

    The performance of Mozart at the Mozarthaus (a performance space used by Mozart, and others during the centuries) was a fitting last night concert. It concluded a week full of the history, sights and culturural and religious traditions that Viennese are well known for and celebrate at this time of year.

    Our experience was highlighted by our wonderful AFS Rosenberger family hosts, which gave us a special insight into Viennese culture that other tourists may not always see. This included a vantage point to look out over the Prater during family dinners.

    Language differences are to be expected when travelling, but the tip is to have a way to bridge the gap. Most people in Vienna of the last 2 generations speak English. We were doubly blessed to be able to learn some simple German phrases from our generous hosts. It’s a language that was starting to sound familiar for the routine activities of our days.

    This is another place that demands more time to explore (there are over 100 museums!).
    Read more