Satellite
  • Day 3

    Conserve Natural Forests

    May 21, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    In the morning we had a slow start and enjoyed a lovely breakfast of eggs and avocado on toast before heading off to the elephant sanctuary we had booked for the day.

    The organisation that runs this sanctuary is called Conserve Natural Forests, its environmental conservational site is just north of Pai and is the location of their tree nursery, organic farm, additional to being the home of critically endangered tortoises, birds, and Asian elephants. Conserve Natural Forests is dedicated to reproducing endemic plant and animal species in Thailand, and aim to restore the damages caused by centuries of deforestation and harm by humans.

    When we first arrived we met the team and got told a bit of background about the organisation and what they do. I could tell the team were extremely passionate about the beliefs of the organisation which made it an even more special occasion.

    First up, we searched out the elephants to go over to feed them and just be in the company of these amazing creatures. Shortly after they had demolished all the food, it was time for a bath. This has got to be one of my most memorable experiences. Elephants are such majestic creatures and the way the organisation cares for them is only by voice, no harmful whips or apparatus and how they respond is amazing. The rest of the afternoon was just spent in the company of these elephants, continually feeding them and splashing water over them. The elephants are mother and daughter and were both rescued from horrible treatment in captivity. They are both pregnant, the daughter 27 months pregnant and was HUGE which isn't a surprise really.

    The day was such a treat and really special. It made it all the better that the small group we were with were great people and had great humour just to top off the day. The main reason I loved this organisation was because it wasn't commercialised at all and it felt so natural and untouristy. The people there being there because their love for the environment and the animals there.

    At the end of the day, to put something back into the environment, everyone plants a tree and I thought that was such a lovely touch to finish such a spectacular day with fascinating creatures and great people.

    When it was time to go I almost felt saddened leaving the elephants as despite only spending an afternoon with them you do grow attached.

    Getting back to the hostel after another visit to the nightmarket and a yummy meal it was time to get ready and celebrate Corrie's birthday turning 23. We dressed up in matching outfits we had all bought together and went straight out to explore the nightlife that Pai had to offer. Safe to say it did not disappoint.
    Read more