Satellite
  • Day 17

    Gili T

    July 8, 2017 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    The journey there was exhausting. With the ferry being over 2 hours late, I was hot, sweaty and very bothered by the time I made it on. Not that you could expect anything else in Asia, having spent nearly 5 months there I had learnt these delays you just have to take in your stride and not worry too much about. Boats not being my favourite mode of transport didn't help either though. However, at the port I did bump into a girl I had worked with in Cambodia, and was lovely to see her and be updated on what she had been up to in the 4 months since I had seen her. Her job is based on Gili, so I was bound to see her a lot over the next few days while I was there.

    I arrived to Gili T a couple of hours later, after what happened to be the most terrifying ferry journey of my life even if I did get there safely. I met up with Sacha and was great to see him despite his awful 'facial hair' that he had apparently been growing for month but the fact was I probably had more of a moustache than him. He introduced me to all his volunteering group, which happened to be all girls, however he certainly wasn't complaining.

    With lots to catch up on, we went out for dinner on the beach and I had my favourite meal, Nasi Goreng, accompanied by a Bintang. With the sun setting it was a perfect first evening on the island after a stressful travel day.

    Heading back to the hostel it was time for a shower and change of outfit to be ready for when we would head out to the bars. There ended up being quite a large group of us, including Sacha, his volunteering friends and myself. With Sacha there, it would be nothing but a big night and can't say we felt great the next day. However we had plans so had to push on. Getting some food to line our stomachs we went to the Jiggy Boat Party. Despite it being the last thing I felt like doing, I surprised myself and actually had a great time. The boat trip allowed us to see the beautiful islands around Gili as well as the sunset from the boat. Getting back to the hostel I was exhausted and with such high consumption of alcohol in the last 24 hours I decided it was time for a night in.

    Pernilla came to join the next day and we moved hostel due to lack of space in our original one. The one we moved to turned out to be far better than the previous one and I was thankful it had turned out to be a good move. It was great to see her and even better that me, her and Sacha got on very well.

    The next few days left on gili T was full of beaches, watching stunning sunset on the other side of the island as well as taking your classic beach picture wth the swings in the water.

    And sooner than I knew, it was time to move on to the next island Gili Air. This island is known to be far quieter than Gili T and safe to say we were looking froward to a bit of relaxation after a busy few days.
    Read more