Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    A day in the country

    December 31, 2016 in France ⋅ 🌫 -3 °C

    Early start to the day, minus 3 here this morning. Our usual walk to get our breakfast. Today we are heading out of Paris with a private tour guide. He picked us at 9.30am in his van. We get excited see a bit of ice then the further we head out it is just white everywhere and a shower of snow. It is how you would imagine a white Christmas. We can't see too much of the countryside for the heavy fog. After a 2hr drive we arrive in the Loire Valley. We visit Château de Chenonceau (Ladies Castle) which Kellie & I are excited as it's all about a TV series we watch. After that we went to an old town Amboise and had lunch which was a bit challenging not much English spoken. Then we went to another castle Amboise Château Royal and had a look around. This is where Leonardo da Vinci is buried. When we arrived at Amboise the town thermometer display showed minus 6. Up on the hill at the castle it was a lot colder. When we came down it was minus 5.5, so it had warmed up a bit. We bought a few macaroons which were delicious. We got back about 7.30, it seemed a long drive as it was dark and heavy fog.
    We are now waiting to go into the city to see in the New Year. We don't want to go to early as it's so cold.
    Happy New Year everyone. xx

    Photo 1 - Our view along the way
    Photo 2 - Château de Chenonceau (Ladies Castle)
    Photo 3 - The grounds and chapel at Amboise Château Royal
    Photo 4 - A frozen poppy
    Photo 5 - Our dessert at a local bakery.
    Photo 6 - The temperature reading in Amboise
    Read more