Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Farewell Paris

    January 2, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 2 °C

    Today we had to pack up and catch a train to Turin, Italy. Once again lugged our luggage on and through the metro. Boarded the train at 10.40 for a 6 hour train trip. We decided to go first class for this leg of the trip. A bit more leg room and for the scenery. First hour was heavy fog but then it did clear for the rest of the way. It was funny because we packed our lunch and took our drinks. We are just having a stop over as it's too long of a trip to Florence in one day. While waiting at the train station I was taking photos of the Christmas decorations and the military accidentally photobombed. The
    police boarded the train in a town in France and checked our passports. In 2013 not once did we have our passports checked. David our tour guide said they have tightened up the border security and since then there haven't been any attacks. Before you could go anywhere in Europe without being checked. Whilst there were a lot more police, military & security checks not once did we feel unsafe. It's just a different world we live in now. When we got off the train it was nice not to get that instant brain freeze. It's cold but not like Paris was. Meant to be the coldest winter for 2 hundred years. Would like to visit Europe when it's normal weather. We found a restaurant for tea and we all had pizza, which was really nice for Italian pizza. Dave order a dessert that he saw on the next table. A cake filled with cherries and custard. The guy bought 4 forks over he must have known we would all try it. Brodie and Kellie dived into it and it was laced with rum. It was so funny, it made the waiters night- they couldn't stop laughing.
    He bought a little bit of cake over without the rum for them try. We could have done with that in Paris to warm us up. Brodie has been a bit giggly after his mouthful.
    We had nice night out, with Kellie taking us a shorter way home except she missed the street and ended up being longer way home.

    Overview of Paris:
    We found Paris a lot more expensive than Amsterdam and Germany. Really miss the street food we tried from both places. Street food in Paris is just to rip the tourists off.
    Didn't like dodging dog poo all the time and all the little streams from the building walls.
    Where we stayed in 2013 the streets were pristine clean, but where we stayed I thought the streets were dirty. David our tour guide said it was a posh area. Too posh to clean up after their dogs.

    Photo 1 - My photo bombers
    Photo 2 - Our first class lunch
    Photo 3 & 4 - Scenery on the way
    Photo 5 - Birthday tea
    Photo 6 - Baba cake
    Read more