Satellite
  • Day 25

    A day at Cinque Terre

    January 8, 2017 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 1 °C

    A very early start today. We had another private tour guide again today Alessandro. He picked us up at 8am and we headed of to Pisa. We climbed up the Leaning Tower of Pisa. It was just beautiful the tower and the climb. Climbing up was an unusual experience, I felt a bit motion sickness. One minute you lean one way and the next you are going the other way. The grounds were very well kept and we were there early and it wasn't too busy.
    Back in the car and we head to Cinque Terre which means 5 towns close together and is a national park. A little different to our national parks. Alessandro takes us to the most picturesque town first Manarola, unfortunately the clouds came over so there sun to make the photos pop. We caught a train to the next town which takes 4 minutes and you are in a tunnel the whole time. Then we decided to have lunch before a walk. Alessandro booked us into a restaurant and because we were on the coast seafood was on the menu. Octapus, clams, mussels, calamari, prawns and fish. We all have pasta dishes, Brodie had tomato sauce, Kellie pesto, Dave prawns and mine was spicy tomato. Daves prawns were like skinny yabbies, he wouldn't suck the shells so I did. After lunch we walk to the next town. There were a lot of steps and if you weren't going up you were going down. The walk was along the coast line through peoples backyard and farms. I am amazed I don't have holes in my jacket I hugged the rock face most of the way and if we met someone coming the other way I made sure I wasn't near the edge. Along the way there was a ledge of rock were cats lived and you feed them and give a donation for food if you want to. We only saw one cat, so we had our Millie fix. The walk took us about 2hrs and my joints are now seized. Alessandro once again picked us up, by this stage its 4.30 and we had watch the sun set at the end of the walk. He tells us he will take us to Lucca on the way home were we can either bike ride or walk around the city wall. We are all wondering how we were actually going find the energy for another walk. Before we get to Lucca we say that we have had enough as it's dark and we won't see much. It was another long drive home, and the Italians certainty have a different style of driving. We get home abot 7pm and it's hard work climbing the stairs. My fitbit is reading 22525 steps, 15.74kms and 160 stairs. It's time to crawl into bed.

    Photo 1 - Leaning Tower of Pisa
    Photo 2 - Manarola
    Photo 3 - Train staion at Manarola
    Photo 4 - The cats on the walk
    Photo 5 - The walking track
    Photo 6 - A view from the walk
    Read more