Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Snowmen and snowballs

    January 12, 2017 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 1 °C

    Through the night I think we all looked out the window to watch the snow falling. We went down and had a lovely breakfast. After breakfast we walked along the river to catch the Nordkettenbahnen up the mountain. Brodie was in his element playing in the snow closely followed by Kellie. There are three stages of the Nordkettenbahnen so we stopped off on the second stage Seegrube for a look around. Surprisingly Innsbruck is warmer than Paris and Venice. We watched little kids leaning to ski, they were so cute. You couldn't see Innsbruck for low cloud but we were above the clouds and the sun was shining. We headed off up to the last stop, Hafelekar. There was hardly anyone around as the ski slopes this high up were closed. It was very peaceful and a spectacular view. There was a worker clearing snow from the path which was spraying us with snow. We decide to have a coffee and we ordered something to eat. Brodie and Dave had apple strudel with vanilla sauce. Kellie had sacher torte which is the famous chocolate cake and I had cheesecake. The serves were so huge we could have shared. We went back outside and ventured a bit further now the path was clear. We were not sure how far to venture, there was an Asian guy who headed up to the summit, but we were not sure about following him as they are crazy where they walk. Gradually a few more people came up and we got more adventurous. The whole time I'm nagging Brodie to get away from the edge. We saw another guy head for the summit so we set off up to the top. I didn't stop to look around as I would have lost my nerve. I wasn't very relaxed up there, but glad we ventured up there. It was a bit hairy coming down as it was slippery. After the kids have a roll in the snow and Brodie's clothes were quite wet, we headed back down to Seegrube. The sun was dissapearing and it wasn't as nice as when we first got there. We went in and had some lunch. When we came out from lunch, it was a lot colder, but the cloud had lifted over Innsbruck. We headed back down to the first stop and wandered about the town. We found a basketball court covered in snow. The kids built a snowman, then we had a snowball fight. Dave won as he could throw the furthest and the hardest. We headed back into Innsbruck and the kids headed back to the hotel. Dave & I had a look around the old town and climbed the town tower. We could see our hotel so we phoned the kids to look out the window. They got us to 'dab' so they could recognise us. We had a rest before heading out for tea. We are all tired tonight, playing in the snow is like walking in sand. We will sleep well.

    Photo 1 - The clouds are starting to lift
    Photo 2 - Not sure how you get to your car
    Photo 3 - Making a snowman
    Photo 4, 5, 6 - Snow pics
    Read more