Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 96

    So Long Singapore

    23 settembre 2022, Singapore ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Today is our final day!

    This morning we woke up and had breakfast which consisted of pastries bought the night before. We’re off to Sentosa to see the SE Asia Aquarium, one of the biggest in the world. It was great seeing all the marine life including sharks, rays, jelly fish, octopus, reef fish etc… however the highlight was the centre stage aquarium viewed through a massive single glass pane measuring 36m long, 8m tall and 0.7m thick. I bet that was a job to install.

    After a few hours we took the final MRT to Changi airport which in itself is an attraction so we were keen to arrive early and explore. As you’d imagine, Singapore didn’t skimp on their airport and it was nice just walking around looking at the various architecture and design. The highlight was The Jewel, a large round glass topped building similar to a shopping mall around the outside with a massive water feature, or rain vortex as they call it, on the inside. The inside area is full of plants, flowers, viewing points, lighting and of course a full length water vortex flowing from the roof down through the floor which lights up as the sun begins to fade. It was like being inside a futuristic artificial jungle, a pretty good waiting room! There are various attractions inside including high rope net walks, mazes and bridges you can pay to do but we were happy just sitting back and relaxing ahead of our flight. We wondered around and ate dinner before finally making it to our last gate ready for the flight back to UK via Dubai, on the Emirates double decker A380.

    Singapore has been short but such a contrast to the rest of SE Asia we’ve seen. There is of course a significant amount of wealth here but a real clean and tidy feel all set within a very well developed, modern city that is clearly pushing the boundaries of modern architecture and design. Although relatively expensive we have been able to enjoy Singapore for no more than an average days budget by being a bit smart with eating/ drinking and attractions etc. It is a shame we were unable to stay longer but all good things must end.

    The last 3 months has been nothing short of a real adventure. It has been extremely eye opening to see different ways of living, different cultures, different people and different attitudes. I’ll come away thinking twice about what real problems are and have made some unforgettable memories, both good and less so all adding to the experience. The sights, cuisine, activities, experience and different culture have been a real joy but unfortunately this marks the final ‘place post’ of our trip. Once back home after a few days, I’ll put together one last short summary to conclude our travels with some of our favourite and most memorable photos.
    Leggi altro