Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    More Peter and Salt Island, BVI

    November 30, 2016 in British Virgin Islands ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Anxious to cross the Sir Francis Drake Channel by dusk, we cast the lines and motored off at ferocious pace, pumping precious volts into our brand new power supply. Our planned anchorage was Great Harbour on Peter Island. Calm and enclosed, and packed full of boats, we nestled up close to the beach and dropped anchor. There were plenty of available moorings but at $30 per night we were happy to place our bets on the sandy bottom. The only disturbance that night was a school of 70cm fish who appeared to be so fascinated with the stern of the boat they forgot which way up to swim. No rods. Too bad.

    The next morning we took the dinghy to a nearby dive site. We'd managed to secure an excellent deal on dive gear for the full charter - a good swindle on Scotts behalf. Diving in warm water is effortless. No wetsuits, gloves or boots. No catch bags nooses or torches. Just shorts and mask. Okay, and maybe some fins and a dash of air, but you get my gist. It was diving without admin, just the way it should be.

    The ocean floor beheld one of many shipwrecks in the area. Fearless, the name of the old mine sweeping ship, was largely intact and brimming with wildlife. Notably out of place was a toilet mounted adjacent the cannon on the foredeck which provided great entertainment giving a whole new meaning to the phrase 'bombs away'. Who thought men couldn't multitask?

    With the wind swinging south during the day we meandered eastward in search of an afternoon and hopefully overnight anchorage. Lunch took place during a spot of sailing but a calm and sandy anchorage was becoming more and more elusive. Eventually we gave in and moored up almost on the beach in Machioneers Bay, Salt Island. The rest of the afternoon played out just like any other day: plenty of swimming and snorkeling, a windsurf, a spot of exercise on the beach all washed down with a cold beer and a hot fajita. Bellisimo!

    The boys are starting to settle into a cruisers routine. Here's what a typical day is beginning to look like:
    7-8am wake up, followed eagerly by a bowl of cereal and a book read. A quick dip (read: shower) and some house admin before firing the engine and setting off to a new destination.
    The rest of the day plays out with all kinds of marine based activities, with a quick break for lunch and maybe a lazy afternoon read. The days' activities usually culminate with Scott free diving the anchor to check it's set for the night.
    Evenings are lazy deck time as the sun sets quickly and early. Cold beverages a must.
    A wee planning session is usually thrown in the mix and the occasion is seized to voice our desired activities or destinations.
    Dinner comes when the hungriest person succumbs to cooking. This is usually chased with a game or two, a read, an episode of Limitless and a boat pack down. Tough life. Absolutely loving it!
    Read more