Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 175

    The End of a Continent

    April 10, 2017, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    This here is our last stop in Central America and our last on the North American continent.

    I don't know where to start. This trip now spans twelve magnificent countries (excluding Honduras by unpopular protest) over 168 days - a period of which my feeble brain is now struggling to remember. Lucky I have a blog!

    Since the boat we've ridden horses and ziplined in Cuba, swum ceynotes in Mexico, snorkelled in Belize, learnt (ahem) a language and climbed a volcano in Guatemala, watched football and drank coffee in El Salvador, surfed and canyoned in Nicaragua, rafted in Costa Rica and witnessed an engineering wonder and a baseball game in Panama.We visited the third most dangerous city in the world and lived to tell the tale.

    We've eaten rice and beans almost everyday and washed it down with the local brew in all of those countries; Bucaneero and Crystal (Cuba), Tecate and Dos Equis (Mexico), Belikin and Lighthouse (Belize), Gallo (Guatz), Pilsener (El Salvador), Toña (Nicaragua), Imperial (Costa Rica) and the Balboa (Panama). More importantly we sampled the local and outrageously cheap rum of Cuba (Havanna Club) and Nicaragua (Flor de Caña) to varying extents of success. Hands down our best meal remains in Tulum, Mexico on anyone of the three nights we took our ravenous selves to Chiapanitas.

    On the road we've clocked up a disproportionate quantity of time to kilometres but I can report that I've kept track of buses. From Cancun we've taken 14 shuttles, 35 chicken buses and 13 coaches ranging anywhere from half an hour to eight hours in duration. Add taxis, utes, bicycles, motorbikes, boats, ferries, eight border crossings and a considerable amount of walking and you have yourself our passage.

    We've enjoyed the company of muchos amigos, namely Mike, Char, Scott and surprisingly George who we have all had to sadly say goodbye to at varies stops along the way. On top of that are all the strangers we've befriended who just keep on popping up!

    We've seen monkeys, sloths, squirrels, snakes, tucans, turtles, dolphins, sharks, stingrays and a myriad of fish, birds, cats, dogs, kittens and puppies - even a pet pig! Speaking of filth, we've subject ourselves to some pretty horrendous sweats and washed off with just a handful of notably hot showers.

    South America is next and I think we're in for a little wake up call; Central America fits inside Colombia alone, bus distances are on the rise! See the next book to continue reading!

    I've tucked in a few favourites from Nica and dirty Guatz for your enjoyment.
    Read more