Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Ancient Olympia to Kalamata/Mani

    April 21 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Started the morning at our less than adequate hotel with exploding coffee! Not a good start but I mopped up and we cleared out, picked up pastries and coffee and drove the short distance to Ancient Olympia. The town is beautiful with small hotels, cafes and shops- definitely a tourist spot, and tour buses! We drove up and around twisty roads only to come down again to the archeological site. Fantastic remains of the area for javelin, discus, baths, Temple for Zeus, rooms, pool and the gate to the runners area. The first race was only 200m. and gradually it was extended. People sat on the grass hillside except officials, and dignitaries, of course. The museum was wonderful with statues and artifacts. After about 4 hours it was time for lunch! We ate at a café, wandered along the main street then set off for Kalamata along the coast and inland over the mountains. The roads are paved, some better than others, 2 lanes barely, and a lot of twists, turns and switchbacks. Bob has done an amazing job of driving a stick shift on these roads while I white knuckle navigate advising when sharp, twisty turns are coming, in some areas, one after the other! We came into Kalamata and decided we'd go a little bit down the Mani Peninsula and stopped at a lovely place on the sea. The welcoming man on reception showed me a studio-big room with kitchen, (empty) pool and deck, view to the sea and best of all, hot water!
    The weather seemed to be changing with what appeared to be fog or haze...the Sirocco winds were coming!
    Read more