Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Ouagadougou, Kadiogo, Burkina Faso

    November 5, 1989 in Burkina Faso ⋅ 34 °C

    Caught the 7AM bus to Ouagga - A real bus that ran on time, with real seats and windows. 3.5 hours to Ouagga, but the bus co was situated in the middle of town so we didn't have to fanny around. Found a hotel just over the road and had a very good meal next door, though it wasn't cheap.

    Ouagga doesn't have that much to offer, even the huge new central market is full of tacky goods. It was here that we received 2 major set backs, both on Thursday. It would take us 10 days to get a Ghana visa, and the Nazinga Forest, a large park that you can walk around in Southern Burkina was shut until 15th December. (Eds note - Ghana visa delay was so frustrating. I sort of understand why it is difficult, in retaliation for UK making it difficult for Ghanaians to get visas to UK, but misses the point. We just wanted to go and spend $$$ there). This combined information just about put paid to any further west Africa travel, psychologically as much as practically. We could still go to for Cote D'Ivoire but Jan would have to get a visa, or wait 10 days for Ghana visa, but decided on Togo and a possible flight to Nairobi, avoiding Nigeria + Zaire.

    To kill time we went to a book shop, and I was flicking through a book about UK in French. Amongst pictures of Tower of London and Scottich Lochs, was one of a quaint village game of cricket. Bizarrely it was Oxted Cricket Club (Eds note I had played for Oxted since I was 10) and Dave Adamson was batting at the Church End!.

    Told David of our plans and semi-agreed to meet him in Nairobi.

    David Adamson batting
    Read more