Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55

    Knaresborough

    August 8, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Mother Shipton, the Viaduct, a Castle and a Wasp!

    Knaresborough is full of surprises, a warren of medieval streets and stone staircases that weave their way up and down the hill. The town centre is perched on the cliffs above the River Nidd and the imposing railway viaduct across the Nidd Gorge is magnificent (I love viaducts)!
    Enjoyed a lovely walk to Mother Shipton's Cave and the Petrifying Well - Mother Shipton is England's most famous Prophetess. She foretold the fates of several rulers within and just after her lifetime, as well as the invention of iron ships, the Great Fire of London in 1666, and the defeat of the Spanish Armada. Nearby to the cave in which she lived is a petrifying well, also known as a dropping well. This is the oldest tourist attraction to charge a fee in England, and has been operated since 1630. The water of the well is so rich in sulphate and carbonate that artefacts may be put in the well to be "petrified" (encrusted)...
    Finally a climb up the steep steps to see Knaresborough Castle and the wonderful view of the viaduct and the river below ♥️
    A beautiful day only troubled by the first wasp sting (I think?) of my life..I'm a brave soldier 😔...
    Read more