Satellite
  • Day 4

    1st full day in Boston

    August 20, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    Today didn't start great, so just to prove how thin the walls are in this hotel I got woken up at 5am by the Spanish couple next door having very noisy sex, this was even though I had ear plugs in!?! I wasn't impressed, with the fact it woke me up and that it went on for 40 minutes!!! Really didn't help the jet lag. After a lovely warm shower, which by the way was in a bath with a shower curtain, not seen one of those in a long time! The shower curtain felt like the curtain around a hospital bed. I was drying my hair and realised that in my rush I had packed my UK hair straighteners and not my US hair straighteners... surprise surprise they wouldn't work 😔 I apologise for the photos in advance, humidity plus my hair!?! Not good.

    Today was a really busy sightseeing, cultural and US history day. We left our hotel & headed to the public gardens, saw some lovely bits, the Make Way for the Ducklings sculpture, then meandered through the Boston Common, saw the Frog Pond, then we followed the Freedom Trail, saw the tombstones of Ben Franklin and John Hancock, the Boston Globe office building, had a pip stop at Beantown Pub which was a coffee bar/bar. We then followed the Freedom Trail to Quincy market, Faneuil Hall Market including the Great Hall, the Old State House where the Boston Massacre happened, before ending up at the beautiful harbour front. It was so nice just watching the world go by, seeing all the expensive boats and enjoying the sun.

    After a break we then went on the subway, (yes we used the Boston subway!) it was really busy as the Red Sox were playing the Yankees at home, I checked after and they won. At one point on the subway it was like the Valley of the arm pit, I'm really not at a good height level!?! We did x2 connections on the subway before we ended up at the Museum Of Fine Art. Now I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on art but there were some amazing pieces, the place is HUGE! My personal favourite is Monet. We didn't even manage to see it all, there were 3 floors including a real good mix.

    After the subway and all the walking we headed to the hotel via taxi, went back to our respective rooms to chill before meeting in the hotel lobby for cocktails in the 'library', followed by dinner in the hotel restaurant/bar. When I got back to my room after the day they hadn't replaced my used coffee cups or creamer/stirer kit, this hotel really doesn't like me! 😜

    The day ended on a high, I got coffee cups, loads of packets of creamer/stirrers and a pair of pink mini travel US straightening irons, I'm easily pleased. 😀

    Another action packed day tomorrow, Cheers Bar, Salem and the eclipse!

    Love & hugs
    x
    Read more