Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    SEWARD

    June 3, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Last morning on the ship so we took the opportunity to have a last breakfast in the dining room. We then caught the shuttle bus into Seward, another frontier town which hasn't changed much over the years even though it experienced a major earthquake in 1964. Another town with a very low population in winter but numbers swell when a cruise ship comes in. Also it seems a very popular venue for RVs to stop off. I had a very nice coffee at sea bean cafe. We walked around town and along the coastal path passed all the RVs and watched a whale in the bay who did breech for us but we didn't get a good shot. We saw Marathon Mountain which is extremely steep but every 4th July they have a running race up there and people have completed the course in just over 40 minutes - amazing.

    We had a last snack in the Lido then joined our bus heading for Alyeska Resort. The scenery en route was magnificent, snow capped mountains, blue glacial rivers and lakes and bald eagles gliding up in the blue skies, again it was a sun drenched day and again we were told this is not usual weather in Alaska. Our lodge has a stunning location in the mountains and when we arrived we took a ride up to the snowy mountain top in the tram (cable car), walked in the snow and had our supper up there in the Bore Tide Deli, not fine dining, the silverware was plastic, but the portions were large. There was a fiddle event taking place in the grounds so our ride was accompanied by some country music sounds.
    Read more