Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Westport House, Town and Quay

    May 24, 2022 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Today we decided to visit Westport House and a good and amusing guide took the tour. Westport House was built over 400 years ago by the Browne family. In the 1500’s there was a tower house on the site which belonged to the infamous pirate queen and chieftain Grace O’Malley. Owners of the current house included family members who’s fortunes came from the plantations in Jamaica that were manned by slaves and a later owner brought about the emancipation of slaves in Jamaica. The last resident marquis, Jeremy, his wife Jennifer and 5 daughters kept the estate running with various tourist initiatives such as the campsite, renting out Gypsy caravans, self catering cottages, a zoo, and a children’s adventure park. Difficult financial issues in Ireland resulted in the family having to sell the property and land and under new ownership a large amount of money is being put into restoration and development. The marquis title has gone to a male family member in Australia.

    After the tour we walked into town to look around then down to the quay for supper in The Helm - a very delicious meal.
    Read more