Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Not horrid, its Ohrid!

    August 8, 2018 in North Macedonia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    After a mountainous 3 hour bus ride from Skopje, we arrived in the beautiful lakeside town of Ohrid. The lake is huge and feels more like a sea/ocean.

    After checking into our waterfront accommodations ($35cad), we found a lakeside restaurant to grab a quick bite to eat and sample some Macedonian wine, then ventured off to see the sights. Ohrid has a fantastic old town with narrow cobblestone streets to wander through that lead you to quaint authentic Macedonian restaurants and eventually to tiny pebble beaches backed by rock cliffs.

    Exploring a bit further along and eventually above the water you stumble upon picturesque orthodox churches perched atop high cliff walls that drop to the water below. Climbing even higher leads to a huge stone fortress with amazing views of the town, mountains and lake. An ancient amphitheatre completes the loop as you follow the cobblestone roads back into the old town.

    We enjoyed some more Macedonian wine at a restaurant in a pretty cobblestone lane and eventually found a stunning waterside establishment for dinner. Finished our night at a jazz club and left around midnight as we had a very early bus ride to catch.

    It's hard to think of a more perfect place. Mountains that drop to the azure waters, a gorgeous cobbled street old town, waterfront establishments, and ancient fortifications. A bit sad to leave after such a perfect day and place. Fantastic last day in Macedonia. SP
    Read more