Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Lake Yojoa - Day 2

    July 24, 2022 in Honduras ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Started the day with a very tasty honduran breakfast called Baleada which is a tortilla stuffed with all sorts of yummy ingredients. Then drove 40 minutes on winding jungle roads to Pulhapanzak waterfalls, the biggest in honduras.

    Got pictures from all the different platforms and then found the office for waterfall excursions. I had read that the tour behind the falls and into caves was excellent so i signed up and ended up part of a huge group (20+) from north carolina. This definitely impacted the adventure.

    We hiked to the base of the falls, over rocks and into the water, then climbed into the falls and shimmied in and out of caves, hanging onto ropes as the water pounded us. The size of the group often left me under huge amounts of falling water and intense spray while i waited for the big group to move forward. There was so much water, I often couldn't see and had to follow the rope and find footings semi blindly. And we couldn't all fit in the caves so some of us always were left exposed to the intense spray.

    I took a lot of videos with my phone inside a waterproof case but it was hard to hang on to the rope with one hand and hold the phone up with the other. Anyways, easily one of the most intense experiences i have ever had. Wow.

    Then decided to also do the zipline over the falls too. Which ended up yielding some unbelievable views. The zipline course had 4 lines over the river before the big drop and another 4 lines over the falls and beyond. Took about an hour and well worth the 20 dollars. Met Nick who works at the American embassy in honduras.

    On the drive back to the hotel i passed by some sort of parade being setup, and then i stopped at the river area with all the kayaks just before the hotel and relaxed there for a while. The owner Carlos kept coming by to make sure I was comfortable and happy and eventually asked me to join his table. Left there before sundown. Hung out more with Daniel the general manager of the hotel and Polly from England. She is 22, alone and teaching in the honduras capital for 6 months. Very impressive.
    Read more