Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    Day 60 - New Delhi

    November 6, 2023 in India ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    A big day in the car today to get back to New Delhi - around 5 hours. As ever the stuff that you see on the roads is astonishing here. Today’s highlights were a man clinging onto the back of a minibus at 50mph (how he stayed on given how bumpy the road was I don’t know) and roughly 12 sari-clad women in a single tuk tuk.
    We’ve now arrived at the Radisson Blu by the airport and are in one of the business enclaves for dinner (AeroCity is home to the likes of pwc, kpmg, accenture, etc, with restaurant prices to match)*. It will be nice not to be handed (with fingers) your food before you eat it here (hopefully).
    Travelling through India we are obviously a novelty. For the second time we had our photos taken by an Indian family as our skin colour was different! The local population outside of the tourist areas also treat us with a huge level of deference which can make you feel a bit odd. Walking into the washrooms at one of rest stops I (J) was confronted by 30+ women in saris who had just got off a coach. I was expecting to be waiting for hours but they ushered me straight to the front!
    Passed the Atkins and Cap Gemini offices on the way into Delhi. They are in adjacent office blocks!

    *OK. Important point for anyone ordering beer in India. A pint is 330ml here and is taxed really heavily. Our misunderstanding of that point just saddled us with a £36 bar bill for 3.5 pints. Going back teetotal tomorrow! £10 a pint!
    Read more