Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Athens Day 1

    August 3, 2020 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    After an easy 40 minute flight from Santorini we arrived into Athens immediately jumping on to a metro to our city centre Airbnb, excited to be back in a bustling city after a week!

    The apartment is perfectly located within a short walk of Kerameikos metro station and a further 20/30 minutes from the city centre.

    Once we dropped the bags the first stop was for food and luckily on the next street to ours was a small shack type restaurant called Soublaki with no tables, chairs or even menu!! The guy cooked and served from the same small room, big enough only for him a cooker and fridge for drinks. He casually told me... 'menu no' before leading me to his BBQ cooker to say.. 'pork, chicken, lamb' raising each skewer up to my face as he listed them. Great menu in my eyes and 1euro50 for the pork sandwich was a bargain!

    We then walked up from our area through the main city centre street (which had so many cool little side street to explore) and settled on a vegetarian restaurant called Avocado for some dinner.

    Then headed for the national Garden to explore, walked through lots of different parks but each was almost overgrown and more of a walk through park than somewhere you would sit to relax!

    We also came across the stadium, which was unfortunately just closing but was an impressive sight even from outside and will be revisited for sure!

    After lots of walking we settled on a street in a hipster area called Pangrati and a particular street lined with cocktail bars, cafes and an irish bar (of course). In the Irish bar we had a game of darts and chatted to Alex and his friends who were nice and gave us some great tips for places to go, after we jumped in a taxi to a shisha bar near our apartment which was nice but I still don't understand the point of shisha and we left soon after!
    Read more