Satellite
  • Day 25

    Amalfi, Positano

    May 8, 2016 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Vivian and Kez took a train and two ferries from Naples to meet us in the town of Amalfi. It took them 3 hours in all. Thank goodness we had a car, even though driving in this area is tantamount to playing roulette with your life. Roads are narrow and windier than a coiled snake. Aaron thinks himself a rally driver which sometimes makes Flora feel queasy. It is always an animated drive in Italy with Aaron yelling or cursing as we narrowly miss a collision with a crazy Italian driver. Did we tell you about Italian bus drivers? Do not drive in this neck of the woods unless you’re a stunt driver.

    We got to Amalfi and straight into a traffic jam. Not surprising when Italian drivers stop in the middle of the road to have a chat, drop off or pick up someone, or for no reason other than they feel like stopping. Also, tow-away zones are the perfect place to park, especially when they reduce an already narrow road to one barely wide enough for a single-lane traffic. We patiently waited in the traffic as we drove along to a 20 Euro a day parking spot we used the day before. The parking attendant had nothing for us. What a nightmare. We decide to pick Viv and Kez up from the town centre and head towards Positano.

    It was to be one of our better decisions. We parked at the top of hill and walked through meandering alleyways with their quaint little shops, down towards the water. It was goodbye for the 4 musketeers. Viv and Kez are heading off to Florence tomorrow while we stay another two nights so we can watch the Giro d’Italia in a couple of days.

    We sit by the water’s edge enjoying the setting sun. A few obligatory group selfies with Positano in the backdrop and we waved Viv and Kez goodbye as they board their ferry.
    Read more