Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Chiringas 🪁

    April 10, 2023 in Puerto Rico ⋅ ☀️ 84 °F

    The weather was brilliant this morning. Thankfully, Emmit felt back to normal and so did the rest of us. We found a cafe close to the hotel for some breakfast sandwiches.

    Next, off to explore two ancient forts. Both were strategically built in the 1500s to protect the city located along the water. After a brief time at Castillo San Cristobal we headed north along the ocean front. At the Castillo San Felipe del Morro, we flew kites along the esplanade- the Spanish word for kites is cometas but in Puerto Rico they are call chiringas which in Spanish means fence. 🤦‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ The consistent strong breeze off the ocean provided plenty of power. Some piragua hit the spot given the sweltering conditions- thank you to the kind lady that let Noel Venmo her given our lack of cash.

    We wandered our way back to the hotel past even more stray cats with plans to hit the beach- once again Escambron Beach. Some light showers weren’t going to slow us down. Emmit and Millie joined the fun swimming with the turtles. Josie is well on her way to being a guide. Emmit found a coconut and worked tirelessly to remove the husk (thanks MUHS freshmen fitness 💪🏼). No one was quite sure about trying it though.

    Millie was in charge of dinner plans- pizza at the pool. The kids picked off the plantains and didn’t care for malta india (Puerto Rican soda) but Noel and I enjoyed our medalla (Puerto Rican miller lite).

    Tomorrow it’s an early departure from Old San Juan to the island of Vieques.
    Read more