Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    National Museum and seafood lumch

    November 26, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We drove back to Bangkok to go to the National Museum. On the way, we passed salt farms; small areas like rice paddies which are flooded with sea water. When the water evaporates, the salt is harvested. There were many stands on the roadside selling bags of salt. We also passed catfish farms which looked a lot like the salt farms, except that machines were aerating the water.

    There are lots of scooters here. Some are taxi cabs. The drivers wear yellow or red vests. Passengers hop on the back, sometime without a helmet. These are cheap and quicker than car taxis as they can run up through the rows of cars. The traffic here is horrendous, it can take an hour to go 2 kms!

    There are also many pictures of King Rama X on the highway. Surprisingly, we see little graffiti.

    The National Museum is across from the Royal Palace and was built in the 1700's as a residence for the queen and crown prince. The compound has several buildings including a temple, a display of ceremonial clothes and most impressively, several funeral carriages. Again, lots of glitter and gold. All very interesting.

    Lunch was a delicious crab and snapper at Kuang Seafood. Then back to the hotel for a swim.
    Read more