Satellite
  • Day 17

    The Last Temple

    December 3, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 30 °C

    We took our pickup truck taxi back to where we started and boarded a funicular to the Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep Temple (rather than taking the 300+ steps of the Naga Serpent Staircase. It is the most sacred temple in Chiang Mai as it contains a holy relic of the Lord Buddha. After looking at a somewhat misty view of the town below, we went inside the temple. It was very busy. Initially, we were impressed with the abundance of flowers...until we realized they were all paper. The temple grounds include a monastery and people come to seek assistance from the monks. The Chinese influence is evident with lots of displays of the Chinese astrological figures for each year.

    As expected there are many Buddha’s. People light candles or give offerings to the big sitting Buddha’s or to the smaller statues that represent the day of the week in which you were born. Sunday is a standing Buddha with his hands folded; Monday’s Buddha has one arm extended with palm outward to stop evil; Tues. is reclining; Wed. has 2 Buddha’s ( not sure why); Thurs. is meditating; Fri. is reflective and Sat. has a headdress of serpents. Brian finds it amusing that the reclining Buddha is my day-of-birth Buddha, given that I love to sleep.

    Back to our wonderful hotel (Ranilanna Riverside Resort and Spa) for a relaxing afternoon. Brian and Wendy are fighting colds and need a break.
    Read more