Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 397

    A day off from city life in Dalah

    February 1, 2018 in Myanmar ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    City life is beautiful but with the heat it can also be a bit tiring, so when we found a folder in the hostel that was promoting bike trips to the surrounding and more rural areas we decided to give it a go and book a half day trip to a small town called Dalah, just across the river from Yangon.
    Funny enough the guy replies on my booking mail in German. He is an Austrian who has set up a small bike and trek business in Yangon.
    So in the morning after picking up our mountain bikes and helmets and meet our guide who first navigates us through the city traffic, we get onto a ferry who takes us across the river.
    The ferry is mainly used by locals who work in Yangon but live in the town.
    Getting off the ferry we enter another world.
    Although the harbor is full of motorbike taxis and tuktuks the small town feels like 100 years back in time. Small bamboo houses line up next to the road and kids are playing on the streets.
    With the bikes we can take small alleys. Kids are running towards us, saying "Hi" and trying to give us high fives that. Not an easy task when you are cycling while balancing the bike on the small concrete path.
    We stop by a local market to try some rice based snacks and later at a local tea house.
    Tea, introduced by the British, still plays an important role in Myanmar and there are small teahouses on every street.
    After a few hours of cycling we first take a small boat and then the ferry again to get back to town.
    Read more