Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Sydney, Australia

    February 15, 2014 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We arose at 4.30am to witness our progress into Sydney and the ship docked directly opposite the Opera House and just by Sydney Bridge. Could not have been better located. The forecast was for drizzle for some of the day so we decided to take the hop on, hop off bus for a tour of the city and surrounding areas. The tickets cost Aus$30 each (a discount as we were aged!). The bus took us through the main shopping and business areas. We then changed buses and took the one for Bondi Beach. This was a disappointment. The beach itself is lovely - wide and clean, but the surrounding area needs a lot of refurbishment. We then continued to Dover Heights, which overlooks the harbour and then to Rose Bay and then back into the city. We changed buses again and hopped off at Darling Harbour, a bustling, attractive and interesting area, which contains the Maritime Museum and a replica of Captain Cook's ship 'Endeavour'. We continued to 'Paddy's Market', a large indoor market, down George Street and then to the 'Rocks' area, an old part of Sydney.

    The following day, we took the ferry to Manly, situated on the far side of the very large bay. The journey cost Aus$15 each and took thirty five minutes. This is a much more attractive resort than Bondi Beach and there was a surfing competition taking place. The town was full of people. We returned by ferry close to the Opera House and went inside. It is a stimulating building from the outside but inside it felt cold and uninviting, due, I think, to its construction of wood and concrete. We then walked through the botanical gardens, which are beautiful. Great city.
    Read more