Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Funchal, Madeira

    January 7, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    An interesting day to start the holiday. Arrived at the AirLynx car park in good time after a quick journey to Southampton, parked the car and after a short while boarded a mini bus that took us and baggage to the Mayflower cruise terminal. There we left our main luggage and then crossed the road and walked the short distance to the COVID testing centre where we were to have our lateral flow test. We joined quite a long queue at 1205 hrs in the open air (a very good thing the weather was dry). It took forty five to fifty minutes complete the exercise and we then walked back to the terminal building and joined another queue to give a verbal health declaration (we had already completed a written one online two days previously but that wasn’t good enough). We then sat down for about 15 minutes until the result of our COVID test was messaged to us and, being negative, we joined another queue for the priority passengers which was longer than the normal queue. We then arrived at the check in desk where we had our photographs taken even though we had uploaded our photographs during the online check in process. We then joined a queue to pass through security where my jacket, belt and shoes had to come off. Given clearance, we boarded the ship where we were directed to our muster station where we were logged in. We had to watch the safety video on the TV in our cabin. Ignoring the cabin at this point we headed straight to the appropriate restaurant for what turned out to be a really nice lunch, for me, of squid and sea bass and a lot of sparkling wine, which, at this juncture, we felt we deserved after two hours of testing and checking in. Our baggage was waiting for us but before unpacking, I tried to download the ‘Myholiday’ app, which we need on board, but failed. After some time I joined a queue at the ‘Myholiday’ desk close to reception to speak to somebody, which I did, but they were of no help. I returned to the cabin and discovered that my VPN application on my phone and tablet was to blame. Once I disabled it I managed to download the app. It looks as though it could be useful. Dinner in the evening was very good and met a couple from South Wales who were excellent company. Went to bed early. We had had enough enjoyment for one day.

    4th January. Sea a bit choppy today as we head south through the bay of Biscay but is forecast to improve later this afternoon. Joined the virtual queue for breakfast and no sooner had we done it we were informed our table was ready. Good system this. The ‘Myholiday’ app seems to be working well at present. No lunch today but afternoon tea with sandwiches, cakes and scone. Really nice dinner in the evening. The food, so far, has been excellent. Almost everybody complying with the need to wear a mask around the ship, which is encouraging.

    We all have to have antigen test either tomorrow or 6th and a further test the following week to comply with Barbados requirements. They also require a passenger locator form to be completed. Instructions are to follow. These tests will be paid for by P&O.

    5th January. Stood in a queue for 35 minutes at 0810 am for the lateral flow test. Well organised but a bit slow. By the end of the day, apparently, two thirds of the passengers had been tested. We will only get to hear the result if we are positive. So far all is quiet. The ‘Myholiday’ app broke down for the black tie evening dinner and we just had to turn up. Working well until then. During the day we were able to sit outside in the sun for a while as the temperature warmed up. Still heading south towards Madeira and will arrive there on 7th.

    6th January. A pleasant day. 16 degrees but feels warmer in the sun and out of the sea breeze. The app is working again and so joined a virtual queue for breakfast and lunch. I can see this being permanent. Had a vegetable sushi roll for lunch with wasabi and it almost blew my head off. I had not realised that wasabi was so hot! The waiter came to my rescue with more water. The entertainment so far has not been to our taste. The comedian the night before was not good and a ventriloquist on a black tie evening?

    Forecast for Madeira tomorrow is mainly sunny with a risk of a shower in the morning and a high of 22 degrees. Good enough for us. We have both been vaccinated twice, had a booster, had a tetanus renewal and I have had a shingles jab, we were given an antigen test before check in and a further antigen test on board. Madeira has nothing to fear from us!

    7th January. Arrived in Madeira and docked at 0800 hrs. Boosted with COVID jabs, fully masked and smothered in sun tan lotion we set off and wondered the pretty streets of Funchal. We came across the cable car and took the ride to the top (32 Euros for two return) and at the top walked to the. church of Our Lady on the Mount where one of the emperors of the Hapsburg Empire is buried. Wonderful views from the top. Took the cable car back and now sitting in a cafe with free wifi. We leave tonight to cross the Atlantic to Barbados.
    Read more