Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Dominica

    January 22, 2022 in Dominica ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Arrived early in Dominica to overcast skies and a bit of drizzle. However, the sky slowly cleared up and the sun came out not long before we had to board our open top truck to take us on a tour around some of the island. No documentation required to leave the ship but we had to have our temperature read as we walked along the pier. Never been here before but it looks beautiful from the ship, mountainous and very green. Obviously Dominica receives a lot of rain. The truck was not exactly comfortable but we had a very enthusiastic young guide. We stopped at a viewpoint overlooking the town, visited the botanical gardens and then headed up the hills. The island is very volcanic with all nine volcanoes still active. As a result there are hot springs all over the island and the smell of sulphur in places was very strong. We stopped to allow some of the passengers to have a swim in an area which was featured in the film ‘Pirates of the Caribbean 2’. The water was far too cold for my liking! To recover from the shock, we had the obligatory rum punches afterwards. What a beautiful island this is. Very impressive and very friendly.

    It is difficult to find good free wifi anywhere. I am currently sitting on a roadside kerb writing this because the wifi is not too bad. Next stop Antigua on the day after tomorrow.
    Read more