Satellite
  • Day 8

    Sightseeing

    October 10, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    Lots of walking today! According to my phone I have walked 32,000 steps and almost 20 km! Not a bad workout for one day. Some of the places I visited on my long journey around Manhattan:

    - Battery Park. Amazing views of the skyline and The Statue of Liberty in the distance. I also returned shortly after sunset where it looked even better.

    - Tribeca, Greenwich Village, Lower Manhattan. Really nice part of the city and good for just walking around and exploring. I stopped by the famous Katz’s Delicatessen, but a bit too crowded and stressful to stay for lunch! I did end up having a burger at a fancy steak house by Chelsea Market. It was a rather ... minimalist variant: a bun and a beef patty. That’s it. Nice beef though! I also visited john varvatos, a store where rock club CBGB’s used to be.

    - Highline. I finally got to walk the length of the lovely Highline park. Very nice - almost too hot though! It was sunny, no clouds and 27 degrees C today. Pretty amazing for late October in this city. Ironically it might be warmer here than California where I’m going next.

    - Times Square. Total tourist trap and super crowded, but fun to visit. I visited Planet Hollywood to see some movie props and their Halloween display.

    - Midtown. I stopped by a few locations like the Chrysler building, Grand Central station and the New York Public Library. I had to see the Rose reading room where they shot the opening scene of Ghostbusters! Yesterday I also visited some other central locations from what will always be a fav movie of mine: Tavern on the Green and the building where Dana and Luis Tully live!

    - Central Park. I was there yesterday too, but it’s always such a lovely place to visit, and you never run out of corners to go for a walk or admire the beautiful views.

    - Brooklyn. After getting back to the Conrad to pick up my bag (and see the Ghostbusters firehouse in the area!), I got an Uber to drive to Brooklyn for my final NYC hotel. I usually stay in Manhattan so this is a first. I had dinner at a local BBQ place which was cool. They provided two small cupcakes with the check. Cute!
    Read more