Satellite
  • Day 1

    Rosemont Day 1

    August 23, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    So my 14th (!) trip to the US started with a flight to Amsterdam where I had a short layover before heading to Chicago. The flight to Amsterdam was short and sweet, and I didn’t have much of a wait in Amsterdam before the second leg of the journey.

    The big ol’ 747-400 jumbo jet is always impressive, and KLM is a really great airline. Even in economy, I thought the food and service was exceptionally good. The entertainment system screen was a bit on the small side, but among other things I watched an 80s comedy, and a brand new remake of it right after. Of course, I also watched a few episodes of The Big Bang Theory. I don’t think I’ve ever been on a long haul flight that didn’t have that show in their entertainment portfolio.

    After a flight of about 9 hours, we got into Chicago on time. It’s a very busy airport though so it took quite a while to get through immigration etc. Always my least fav part of visiting the US.

    When finally getting out of the airport, I eventually boarded the train for just one stop to Rosemont where I’m staying for the night. It’s about an hour outside the city, but I got a great view of the skyline when approaching the airport.

    I’ve been to Chicago one time before and this time around I won’t be able to make it there since I’m going to the next destination - Indianapolis - already tomorrow afternoon. Chicago is basically just a stop on the way there.

    Rosemont is the host of a major four day comic con called Wizard World. I was also here two years ago, when they had a really cool guest lineup. This year it’s quite dull sadly, but I figured I could stop by on my way to Indianapolis.

    Wizard World opened at 4 pm today which was around the time I arrived at my hotel, just across the venue. I was there for a couple of hours, checking out the many stalls and traders. There were also some interesting picture cars from Jurassic Park, Batman and other movies. Before leaving for the night I visited a panel about the ‘best worst movies’! Pretty amusing. The con was not busy today at all so it was easy to browse and get a feel for it.

    After the con I had dinner at a nice steak house that is connected with my hotel. A table with eight diners close to mine had apparently ordered way too much cake so they gave me their remaining cake... and it turned out to be a HUGE piece that could have fed the whole restaurant!

    A long day of travelling, concluded with a taste of comic con and steak! (and cake)
    Read more